US$ 100 per winning photos
Feature in the WBW 2008 Action Folder, which will be distributed to more than 120 countries worldwide!
DEADLINE: by 29 February 2008
What are we looking for?
We need stories that illustrate support for breastfeeding. We are looking for any photo that TELLS A STORY of support. It may be a who, a what or a where! You may be the person who provided the support or the person who received the support.
Illustrate the kind of support you provided or that you received in a photo. When taking photos, think globally and locally! We encourage you to submit photos that reflect different ethnicity and that include breastfeeding children, from a newborn to a child of 2 years or more. Support takes place in different environments, so the support you illustrate may be in a home, in a museum, in a marketplace or in a field.
The theme for this photo contest is based on WBW 2008: Mother Support: Going for the Gold
• encouragement and consistent help
• help and support via a computer and internet
• support through the telephone, the TV, a magazine, a newspaper
• a group of mothers or one person with whom concerns and joys were shared
• encouragement from a health worker or health professional to initiate breastfeeding or continue breastfeeding the family member who did household tasks
• a co-worker who helped secure a lactation room at a factory
Understanding on the issue would help you take a great picture! Please read the WBW 2008 Calendar Announcement at http://www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org for more information.
About WBW and the Action Folder
World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) is celebrated every 1-7 August since 1992 by breastfeeding supporters in over 120 countries. It is endorsed and supported by UNICEF, WHO, FAO and ministries of health in many countries. The WBW action folder is a global advocacy tool for breastfeeding advocates to highlight breastfeeding issues. An action folder is a 6-page information sheet that provides introduction and discussion of the chosen theme, examples and data where relevant, ideas for action, resources and regional WBW contacts. Visit http://www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org for samples of previous action folders. As a social mobilising tool, the action folder also carries colourful images/pictures to make it more interesting and readable.
How to participate
1. You may submit an unlimited number of entries; which could be either analog/print or digital format or both.
2. Analog/print format entries must be at least 8R in size.
3. Digital format entries must be delivered in JPEG format file and no less than 2560 pixel x 1920 pixel.
4. Submitted entries must have the title, date, year, location, name of photographer and caption.
5. All cost incurred during this participation shall be borne by participant i.e. cost for image processing, printing, developing, delivery etc.
6. All submissions must be completed together with this contest form. This form is also available on our website at http://www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org
Rules & Regulations
1. This contest is open to all except for the manufacturers or distributors of breastmilk substitutes, related equipment such as feeding bottles and teats, commercial foods for breastfeeding mothers, and commercial complementary foods, including employees and associates of such companies.
2. Participants may submit as many entries as they wish.
3. Proof of posting is not proof of receipt.
4. All submission are non-returnable and shall remain the sole property of WABA; WABA reserves all rights to reproduce, publicise or to exhibit the submissions in any form of media or medium whether locally or internationally without any prior notification or payment made to participants. Credit and acknowledgement will be given accordingly.
5. Image submitted must not be published by any media or medium prior to this.
6. All entries must be of participants’ original works. Usage of third party/parties creative works are prohibited, in which the entry will be automatically disqualified.
7. With the entry submission, the participants hereby agree to indemnify WABA from any and all legal claims or otherwise.
8. Entries will be judged on the following criteria: subject matter, composition, creativity and technique.
9. Minor photo touch-up is allowed i.e. adjustment of brightness of colour and softening or sharpening of the image.
10. The following technique will not be accepted: digital super imposition, composite photographs, photo montage, trick photographs, digital imaging and image manipulations.
11. All entries must be submitted by 29 February 2008 to:
WABA, P.O. Box 1200, 10850 Penang, Malaysia and/or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send your entries to email@example.com.
12. Judges decision is final and any form of correspondences shall not be entertained.
13. Winner shall be notified via email and WBW website http://www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org by 15 April 2008.
For more information, please email:
Julianna Lim Abdullah,
International WBW Coordinator
WABA, PO Box 1200, 10850 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: 604-658 4816 Fax: 604-657 2655
The World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) is a global network of individuals and organisations concerned with the protection, promotion and support of breastfeeding worldwide based on the Innocenti Declarations, the Ten Links for Nurturing the Future and the WHO/UNICEF Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding. Its core partners are International Baby Food Action Network (IBFAN), La Leche League International (LLLI), International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA), Wellstart International and Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (ABM). WABA is in consultative status with UNICEF and an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC).